Kern River Valley Gun Association
Thursday, July 25, 2019
Meeting called to order at 6:28 PM at the Kern River Valley Gun Range classroom and began with the flag salute.
- New Members – None
- First Time Attendees – Brandon Taggart and Ron Willey
- 17 members in attendance
Past Meeting Minutes: Kee Johnson read the meeting minutes for June 29, 2019. Approved.
President’s Report: Jeff Evans
- Submitted the 2019 Operating Plan to Joey Martin (Special Use Permit Administrator). Still waiting for approval from Forest Service
- Gun Laws
- The California Legislature has recessed for the summer and will return August 12 from the break.
Treasurer’s Report: Bob Johnson gave the treasurer’s report. Club has $29,987.81
Income: $1,057.01 Expenses: $1,330.42 Membership at 557 + 59 life members
Chief Range Safety Officer Report: Mark Miller advised we have three new people interested in being an RSO. He will give a class next month. They will be RSO’S in training. Joe Margiotta advised the RSO schedule is online. Mark will start notifying Joe of all changes being made.
Competition Director: Terry Thompson
- July 6th Single or double action revolver iron sights. Paper targets at 25 yards. 50 rounds minimum. NOT timed event. Accuracy shoot. – Jeff Evans 1st Place, Terry Thompson 2nd Place, Rick Denny 3rd
- August 3rd *Aspirin Shoot* Rimfire rifle / Centerfire rifle, off the bench. Aspirin at 50 yards / 100 yards. 10 rounds minimum, each rifle. You may compete with either or both rifles.
- September 7th Centerfire rifle/centerfire pistol. Steel rifle targets at 100/200 yards, 10 rounds, steel pistol targets at 7-25 yards. 60 rounds minimum. Timed event.
- September 28th – 3 Gun Competition. Each stage may consist of 30+ pistol rounds on steel targets 7 – 15 yards. 10 rifle rounds on steel targets 100 – 150 yards. 8+ shotgun rounds birdshot and/or slugs.
- October 5th Centerfire rifle from bench. Any sights. Paper targets 200-300-400-500 yards. 5 shots on each target.
- November 2nd *Poker Shoot* Rimfire rifle / pistol, any sights. Playing cards at 25 yards, 7 rounds minimum. (Non-points event)
Shotgun Group – Joe Price advised he did the annual check on the trap machine and still working on weeds
- Upcoming Events
- Toys for Tots – TBD
- Cowboy Action Group – Jeff Evans
- Upcoming Events
- August 10th – Cowboy Action
- August 11th – Cowboy Quick Draw
- Range Maintenance – Tim Scrogham
- New Ram placed at 750 yards with the help of the hot shots from the Lake Isabella Fire Station.
- Maintenance Plans:
- Installation plan for the moving target system in the rear of the Cowboy Range. Beams will be delivered to the range Tuesday, July 30th
- X Metal Targets located in Canada donated an 18” gong target to the range
- Upcoming Events
Discussion regarding the First Shot Program. Jeff will set a date and notify CRPA to obtain supplies.
- Proposed revisions to By-Laws:
ARTICLE VII DUTIES OF OFFICERS
The Chief Instructor shall have the authority to appoint his/her assistants. The Chief Instructor shall contract no bills without the authority of the Executive Committee. Any person receiving payment for instructions/lessons/training at the range must be a NRA certified trainer, provide proof of insurance and be approved by the Executive Committee, prior to giving instructions/lessons/training.
A nominal range use fee of $5.00 per trainee per class will be paid to the club. Additionally, use of the meeting/training room, for approved instructions/lessons/training, shall pay the club a nominal fee of $5.00 per student per class. Fee is per class not per day (i.e. Classes spanning two consecutive days [Saturday and Sunday] constitutes one class).
Kee Johnson read this section and the proposed changes. Discussion was conducted and then voted on. Approved with no opposition.
Joe Margiotta said we need another change in the by-laws regarding citizenship because of the change made on the application. Will look at this at next meeting.
Roberto Cruz talked about the “No Lead Give Away” where lead .22 ammo is exchanged for no lead .22 ammo. The lead .22 ammo is then donated to gun ranges. We want on that list. Roberto gave Jeff the information on who to contact. Jeff will be making contact.
We are finding a lot of black widow spiders in the outhouses. Be careful.
Mark Miller talked about the NRA certified Pistol Instructor Class. He would like to have it on a Tuesday. He will contact Wade Roberts the instructor from Tulare and see when he is available.
Thursday, August 22, 2019
Kern River Valley Gun Association Range
6000 Cyrus Road
Kernville, CA 93238
Meeting adjourned at 7:17 PM