Kern River Valley Gun Association
Thursday, May 23, 2019
Meeting called to order at 6:35 PM at the Kernville Chamber of Commerce Building and began with the flag salute.
- New Members – None
- First Time Attendees – None
- 10 members present
Past Meeting Minutes: Kee Johnson read the meeting minutes for April 25, 2019. Approved.
President’s Report: Jeff Evans
- Submitted the 2019 Operating Plan to Joey Martin (Special Use Officer).
- Training Room/Club House/Meeting Room delivered and set up at the range.
- Girl Scout Shooting Clinic May 4th. 58 girls and 12 adult leaders went through the clinic. They sent a nice letter praising the RSO for their patience, encouragement and knowledge sharing. Stating it was a safe and empowering experience for all.
- As of July 1, 2019, statewide Lead-free hunting goes into effect. The non-lead ammo requirement includes hunting on public land, private property and licensed game bird clubs, and applies to rifles, shotguns, pistols and muzzle loaders in any gauge or caliber for the take of any legal species. The non-lead ammo requirement extends to the legal take of non-game birds and mammals and includes firearms used for depredation to take species causing property damage.
The requirement does not apply to hunting with pellet rifles. Since pellet rifles are not classified as firearms, the use of lead pellets is allowed. Lead ammunition is allowed for target shooting where that activity is permitted.
- Added “Donation” feature to our website.
- Increase Public Shooting rifle/pistol price to $10 per person.
- Increase Competition entry fee to $10 per person.
- Increasing non-member use of the Archery range to $10.00 per person (from $4.00).
- Propose the range use fee for paid training/instruction is increased to $10 per person.
- Not enough people present to vote.
- After the General Meeting, the Board met to discuss the proposed increases for range use. It was determined that we do not want to increase the fees, as we want to encourage people to come to the range and shoot as opposed to shooting in the National Forest. Furthermore, to simplify things, the Board decided charge $5 for members and non-members for each round of trap (it was $4 for members and $6 for non-members). Public shooters wanting to use the rifle/pistol archery range will be $5 per person (Archery range was $4 per person.)
Treasurer’s Report: Bob Johnson gave the treasurer’s report. Club has $29,086.46
Income: $3,257.90 Expenses: $4,280.23 Membership: 527 + 59 life members
Chief Range Safety Officer Report: Mark Miller absent. Jeff Evans advised:
- RSO Training Class was held April 27th at the range. 5 new RSOs trained.
- CPR instructor training is being put off until July or August.
Competition Director: Terry Thompson
- May 4th Rimfire pistol, any sights, off hand. Steel targets at 7 – 25 yards. 50 rounds minimum. Mark Miller 1st Dennis Veale 2nd, Rick Denny 3rd and Terry Thompson 4th. Only 4 shooters present.
- June 1st Rimfire semi-auto rifle, any sights, off hand. Steel targets at 10 – 25 yards. 50 rounds minimum. Timed event.
- July 6th Single or double action revolver iron sights. Paper targets at 25 yards. 50 rounds minimum. NOT timed event. Accuracy shoot.
- August 3rd *Aspirin Shoot* Rimfire rifle / Centerfire rifle, off the bench. Aspirin at 50 yards / 100 yards. 10 rounds minimum, each rifle. You may compete with either or both rifles.
- September 7th Centerfire rifle/centerfire pistol. Steel rifle targets at 100/200 yards, 10 rounds, steel pistol targets at 7-25 yards. 60 rounds minimum. Timed event.
- October 5th Centerfire rifle from bench. Any sights. Paper targets 200-300-400-500 yards. 5 shots on each target.
- November 2nd *Poker Shoot* Rimfire rifle / pistol, any sights. Playing cards at 25 yards, 7 rounds minimum. (Non-points event)
- Shotgun Group – Joe Price absent. Jeff Evans advised:
- Upcoming Events
- Mesa Men’s Club June 8th Three RSO’S needed. Rich McDonald volunteered.
- Toys for Tots – TBD
- Cowboy Action Group – Jeff Evans
- Upcoming Events
- June8th – Cowboy Action – cancelled due to shotgun event
- June 9th – Cowboy Quick Draw
- Range Maintenance – Tim Scrogham
- Dump Trash
- Replace cardboard on target frames
- Pick up brass
- 1st and 3rd Tuesdays – Paint steel targets
- 2nd Tuesday of each month – Rake Trap Range
- 4th Tuesday of each month – Remove lead from berms
- Maintenance Plans:
- Need a plan/layout to pour a pad to make the ramp to our new Club House/Training Facility wheelchair accessible. Rich Mc Donald will contact Heinz for his expertise. Other items discussed installing flooring, paint, electrical power (Solar, generator), swamp cooler, water source for swamp cooler.
- Installation plan for the moving target system in the rear of the Cowboy Range. Piers are needed for the track. Gary Harkey has nine he will donate. More needed.
- Due to financial concerns, the following items will be postponed until next year:
- Provide new electrical feed at the Trap Range, Cowboy Range, Club House and Camping Area.
- Add doors to the 45-foot container to better access targets.
- Youth Summer Safe Shooting Program – Lori Miller absent. She will contact committee members after June 5 when she is finished with school. Third weekend in June may be too soon.
- 3rd Weekend in June, July and August. Same format as the Girl Scout Trap and Rifle training.
- Form a small committee, to determine 1) cost per youth 2) format 3) maximum number youths per weekend, etc.
- BBs and Bows Day Camp weekdays 9:00 AM – 3:00 or 4:00 PM
- Serving lunch? Cost $17.50 or more. Advance Registration?
- Upcoming Events
- Upcoming Events
- Due to abuse (not cleaning up brass, shooting facades and wood barriers) the Cowboy range is closed to all members and guests unless you obtain board member approval prior to using the area. Signs were put up and removed by a member and have been put up again.
- Joe Margiotta – membership application revision. He will bring to next meeting.
- RSO form needs to be revised to include credit cards. Tim Scrogham making changes.
- Trap Range fees: currently $4.00 for members $6.00 for non-members. Increase to $5.00, $8.00 or $10.00?
- Membership fees currently $35.00 year. Increase to $40.00 or $50.00? No prorating this year.
- Proposed 2020 Grants for:
- Electrical run to trap range, cowboy range, training room and camping area.
- Hesco barriers between rifle and pistol range and between pistol and cowboy range (~$30K).
- MT2 lead abatement and berm rehabilitation (~$20K).
- 5 Stand shotgun course (~$20K).
- Youth/Women’s 20 gauge shotguns/.22 rifles (~$5K)
- Archery targets and equipment. Archery storage container (20 foot).
- Other suggestions??
- NRA Grants are submitted in October. Nat’l Shooting Sports Foundation also offers grants.
Saturday, June 29, 2019
KRVGA Shooting Range
Meeting adjourned at 7:40 PM