Kern River Valley Gun Association
Thursday, April 25, 2019
Meeting called to order at 6:33 PM at the Kernville Chamber of Commerce building and began with the flag salute
- New Members – None
- First Time Attendees – None
- 15 members present
Past Meeting Minutes: Kee Johnson read the meeting minutes for March 28, 2019. Approved.
President’s Report: Jeff Evans
- Submitted the 2019 Operating Plan to Joey Martin (Special Use Officer).
- NRA grants:
- Running Man Target – APPROVED. Received Check.
- Reactive target systems (Dueling trees and poppers (rim fire and center fire), 2 Texas Stars, 10 Target Stands) – APPROVED. Targets have been received.
- Training Room/Club House/Meeting Room delivered Monday, April 22, 2019 and partially set up at the range. In process, needs roof completed, vents installed in skirting, flooring and painted. Came without a key to the lock. Lock will be replaced. Metal trim for the skirting needs to be sanded and painted. Two people have volunteered to paint for 1 year’s membership. We will furnish the paint.
- New Targets: MGM targets approved last month for $3,632. Supposed to be delivered today – not. Possibly being delivered tomorrow.
- Hats have been received. Available on-line and at the range. 20 hats purchased on line.
- April 27th San Diego Girl Scouts will perform a site safety inspection at the range. Jeff will handle.
- Girl Scout Shooting Clinic May 4th 35 girls from 9:00 AM – NOON; 35 girls from 2:00 PM -5:00 PM. Jeff will see if their release covers us. If not, ours will have to be signed.
Treasurer’s Report: Bob Johnson gave the treasurer’s report. Club has $29,748.11 as of 4-23-19.
Income: $1,646.58. Expenses: $433.12 Membership: 500 + 58 life members
Chief Range Safety Officer Report: Mark Miller advised
- First Aid/CPR Certification Renewal is being rescheduled
- RSO Training Class April 27th at the range. May use new facility
Competition Director: Terry Thompson
- April 6th Centerfire rifle, any caliber, any sights, off the bench. Steel targets at 200 – 500 yards. Terry Thompson 1st Place, Kevin 2nd place, Louie 3rd
- May 4th Rimfire pistol, any sights, off hand. Steel targets at 7 – 25 yards. 50 rounds minimum. Timed event. Postponing until Sunday, May 5th due to Girl Scout clinic.
- June 1st Rimfire semi-auto rifle, any sights, off hand. Steel targets at 10 – 25 yards. 50 rounds minimum. Timed event.
- July 6th Single or double action revolver iron sights. Paper targets at 25 yards. 50 rounds minimum. NOT timed event. Accuracy shoot.
- August 3rd *Aspirin Shoot* Rimfire rifle / Centerfire rifle, off the bench. Aspirin at 50 yards / 100 yards. 10 rounds minimum, each rifle. You may compete with either or both rifles.
- September 7th Centerfire rifle/centerfire pistol. Steel rifle targets at 100/200 yards, 10 rounds, steel pistol targets at 7-25 yards. 60 rounds minimum. Timed event.
- October 5th Centerfire rifle from bench. Any sights. Paper targets 200-300-400-500 yards. 5 shots on each target.
- November 2nd *Poker Shoot* Rimfire rifle / pistol, any sights. Playing cards at 25 yards, 7 rounds minimum. (Non-points event)
- Shotgun Group – Joe Price – participation is improving
- Upcoming Events
- Mesa Men’s Club June 8th
- Toys For Tots wants to have another shoot/fundraiser towards the end of the year. Will get back to us on exact date.
- Cowboy Action Group – Jeff Evans
- Upcoming Events
- May 11th – Cowboy Action
- TBD – Cowboy Quick Draw
- Discussion regarding use of the cowboy range. Due to recent abuse, damage to facades and posts, brass being left scattered on ground, it has been determined the Cowboy range is only to be used after receiving prior approval by board members. Sign needed. Range phone number needs to be posted at the range, possibly at top of sign in sheet so if a member sees a situation that is occurring on the cowboy range or other areas at the range, it can be reported at that time.
- Range Maintenance – Hank Blackler/Tim Scrogham Jeff gave report.
- Dump Trash
- Replace cardboard on target frames
- Pick up brass
- 1st and 3rd Tuesdays – Paint steel targets
- 2nd Tuesday of each month – Rake Trap Range
- 4th Tuesday of each month – Remove lead from berms
- Maintenance Plans:
- Install a 24 foot by 40 foot Club House/Training Facility. In process, needs roof completed, vents installed, flooring,
- Installation of a moving target system in the rear of the Cowboy Range,
- Modify one pistol bay to be wheel chair accessible. – Complete (4-23-19)
- Construct a new wheelchair accessible ramp to provide access to the pistol target area – Not needed with location of wheelchair accessible bays
- Due to financial concerns, the following items will be postponed until next year:
- Provide new electrical feed at the Trap Range, Cowboy Range, Club House and Camping Area,
- Add doors to the 45 foot container to better access targets.
- Upcoming Events
- Upcoming Events
- Youth Summer Safe Shooting Program (3rd Weekend in June, July and August). Same format as the Girl Scout Trap and Rifle training. Form a small committee, to determine 1) cost per youth 2) format 3) maximum number youths per weekend, etc. Committee members: Lori Miller, Dennis Veale, Mark Miller and Jeff Evans.
- Pizza Barn appreciation dinner was attended by 25 people. A fun event.
- Joe Margiotta says the membership application needs to be revised. One issue is U. S. Citizenship. Wants it to include legal immigrants. Will bring revised form to next meeting.
- RSO form needs to be revised to include credit cards. Jeff will handle.
- Dirty Bird Industries – a company that specializes in AR’s will be at the range tomorrow
morning (4-26-19) with several guns to demonstrate.
May 23, 2019
Kernville Chamber of Commerce
11447 Kernville Rd.
Kernville, CA 93238
Meeting adjourned at 7:32 PM