Kern River Valley Gun Association
Thursday, November 15, 2018
Meeting called to order at 6:30 PM at the Kernville Chamber of Commerce Building and began with the flag salute.
- New Members – None
- First Time Attendees – None
- 18 Members in attendance
Past Meeting Minutes: Kee Johnson read the minutes for 10-25-18, meeting. Minute approved.
President’s Report: Jeff Evans
- Purchase two 20 foot Sea Containers $2,300 each with delivery. One for Archery Range, one between Cowboy Range and Trap Range
- Purchase one 45 foot Sea Container with side door, window,shelves and A/C cutout for training room. $4,900 with delivery.
- Members voted and approved $5,000 for purchase of seacontainers.
- Procure new steel targets –
- Various shapes sizes for all rifle distances
- Various shapes and sizes for pistol range
- Mark Miller mentioned that there is a teacher at Bakersfield College who will donate metal and cut shapes for targets. Mark will check into this. Jeff and Bob Johnson will be going to the Shot Show in January and will get estimates on targets also.
- Do Not place targets on and structure, building, façade, or anything else, other than target stands and hangers!
- Range utilization as of 6/1/2018
- 1250 Members/Guests
- Range utilization 6/1/2018 – 11/13/2018
- 1462 Members/Guests TOTAL: 2712
- NRA grants submitted: Will know results in January, 2019.
- Running Man Target
- Archery Targets and Equipment
- Youth shotguns and .22 caliber rifles for Girl Scouts
- Reactive target systems (plates, poppers)
- ~ 60 Adventure Girl Scouts from San Diego Rifle and Trapshooting will be here May 3rd and/or 4th, 2019 (confirmed– Carruthers OK to have CCW class that weekend) and June 25, 26 or 27,2019.
- Gun Law Status
- No new news
Treasurer’s Report: Bob Johnson read the treasurer’s report. Club has $21,373.48.. Income was $185.00. Expenses were $1,264.81 Raffle expense included in this. Raffle is legal per Jeff.
Chief Range Safety Officer Report: Mark Miller
- Course to become a NRA Certified Pistol Instructor Asked those taking the course to stay after the meeting to discuss this.
- Sunday, December 23, 2018, the range will be closed. Sunday, December 30, 2018, the range will be open
- We have a 4th RSO in training
Competition Director: Brian Dowd
November Competition – November 3rd – Annual Turkey Shoot – Paper Targets Only – No Turkeys were harmed at this shoot. Rich – 1st Place, Jeff 2ndPlace, Mark 3rd Place Nancy Dowd was able to get two turkeys donated from Von’s which was very much appreciated.
- December Competition – December 1st – Pistol Caliber Carbine Shoot or.22 Will need 60 rounds for 2rounds. Dennis Veale will be putting on this event. OK for Carruthers to have his class on this date also.
- Shotgun Group – Joe Price – absent
- Upcoming events
- February 2, 2019 – South Fork School Fundraiser Shoot: Moved from December 8, 2018
- Cowboy Action Group – Jeff Evans
- Upcoming events
- Dec. 8th – Cowboy Action
- Dec. 9th –Cowboy Quick Draw
- Range Maintenance – Brian Dowd
- Dump Trash
- Replace cardboard on target frames
- Pick up brass
- 1st and 3rd Tuesdays – Paint steel targets
- 2nd Tuesday of each month – Rake Trap Range
- 4th Tuesday of each month – Remove lead from berms. Over 1,000 pounds has been picked up for the year. 375 pounds was picked up in 1 1/2 hours with the pitch fork method.
- Tee shirts and Hats – Order has been placed Even ordered some XXXL sizes.
- Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) Affiliate – Still checking on this.
- Bay walls in Cowboy area (HESCO or DefenCell) – Still checking on this.
- Range Maintenance Officer– Hank Blackler
- Competition Director – Terry Thompson
- President: Jeff Evans
- Vice President: Rich Mc Donald
- Treasurer: Bob Johnson
Secretary: Kee Johnson
- Chief Range Safety Officer: Mark Miller
- Discussion about changing the membership age from 18 to 21since you have to be 21 to buy a gun. Membership will stay at the age of 18.
- Tickets are needed for the raffle. Jeff will have them by the next Whiskey Flat Chamber meeting
- Application for the Whiskey Flat Parade says we can have unlimited vehicles.
- Training needed on Square.
3rd Thursday in January – January 17, 2019 at 6:30 PM at Kernville Chamber of Commerce. Jeff and Bob will be a the Shot Show on the 4th Thursday.
Motion to Adjourn: Meeting adjourned at 7:13 PM
Minutes by Kee Johnson