Kern River Valley Gun Association
Thursday, November 21, 2019
Meeting called to order at 6:31 PM at the Kern River Valley Gun Range classroom and began with the flag salute.
- New Members – None
- First Time Attendees – Guy Kerley
- 14 people in attendance. Plus 3 people (Mike & Joni Nelson and Lori Miller) contacted via phone for voting purposes.
Past Meeting Minutes: Kee Johnson read the meeting minutes for October 24, 2019. Approved.
President’s Report: Jeff Evans
- Whiskey Flat Days:
- Gun Raffle Tickets (400 tickets $5.00 each) Contact Rich McDonald to buy or sell tickets
- Booth Support – In front of Kernville Saloon to sell tickets, t-shirts, hats and club memberships
- Kick off dinner is January 3, 2020, at Ewing’s ay 6:00 PM.
- Decided to be in the parade with Terry Thompson’s truck.
- NRA Grants Submitted: Have been contacted by NRA and advised them our most important grant would be to improve electrical service.
- Improve electrical service to the range (SCE).
- Electrical run to trap range, cowboy range, training room and camping area. Need quotes from electrical contractors.
- HESCO barriers between rifle and pistol range and between pistol and cowboy range.
- MT2 lead abatement and berm rehabilitation.
- Youth/Women’s 20 gauge shotguns/.22 rifles, archery equipment and targets.
- 5 Stand shotgun course.
- Gun Laws
Treasurer’s Report: Bob Johnson gave the treasurer’s report. Club has $18,457.79.
Total income: $939.43 Total expenses: $1,297.33 which includes the rifle for Whiskey Flat Raffle.
Total membership for 2019 ended at 603. Membership for 2020 is 22
Life members is 63. Reminded life members to send in their yearly applications.
Chief Range Safety Officer Report: Mark Miller advised the trap range meeting went well. Would like to make a video on operating the trap equipment. Covered for the rest of the year for trap range RSO’S. We have lost two RSO’S, Mark Carothers and Craig Hayes but gained three in the last four months. Total RSO’S is 18
Competition Director: Terry Thompson
- October 5th Centerfire rifle from bench. Any sights. Paper targets 200-300-400-500 yards. 5 shots on each target.
- October 26th Zombie Apocalypse Night Shoot. Cancelled
- November 2nd *Poker Shoot* Rimfire rifle / pistol, any sights. Playing cards at 25 yards, 7 rounds minimum. (Non-points event) Tracy Brown won.
- November 23rd Turkey Shoot – Cancelled
- Dennis Veale named new competition director for 2020. All competitions will be on the 4th Saturday of each month.
- December 7, 2019, 9:00 AM, PEARL HARBOR DAY SHOOT – use any rifle that was used in World War II
- January 25, 2020, 9:00 AM will be a special rifle and handgun competition practice. No charge for this event.
- Shotgun Group – Joe Price was happy with the trap range RSO training and the machine.
- Upcoming Events
- Southfork Foundation – Proposed for Nov 9 th – Cancelled
- Cowboy Action Group – Jeff Evans
- Saturday December 14th – Cowboy Action
- Range Maintenance – Tim Scrogham said thank you to everyone who comes out on Tuesdays for the range maintenance. Some more targets were put up. Sign should be completed in approximately two weeks. He is starting a shopping list for L & M Lumber. Brooms seem to be missing quite frequently so will be purchasing replacement ones. Let him know if we need anything else. Always in need of cardboard for targets.
- Dump Trash
- Replace cardboard on target frames
- Pick up brass
- 1st and 3rd Tuesdays – Paint steel targets
- 2nd Tuesday of each month – Rake Trap Range
- 4th Tuesday of each month – Berm Weed Abatement Advised Forest Service we would no longer be removing lead from berms. Will hire hazardous waste company to do it.
- Upcoming Events
- FREE Lead Free Ammo
- Ventana Wildlife Society will provide One (1) free box (20 rounds) of centerfire ammunition per person per calendar year. Website: https://www.ventanaws.org/ammunition.html
- Have not received a bill from the Forest Service this year. Jeff Evans will contact them.
- Next year’s Executive Committee
- President – Jeff Evans
- Vice President – Rich McDonald
- Treasurer – Bob Johnson
- Secretary – Kee Johnson
- Chief Range Safety Officer – Mark Miller
- Annual Fee Increase to $45.00 (From $35.00) 17 for 0 against
- Eliminate $15.00 Initiation/Late Fee 12 for 5 against
Thursday, January 23, 2020
Kern River Valley Gun Association Range
6000 Cyrus Road
Kernville, CA 93238
Meeting adjourned at 7:14 PM